FINAL PART OF A THREE-PART SERIES
29 May 2013
Underperforming philanthropy is a waste of money.
- Be Strategic: a smart philanthropic strategy starts by defining the societal value that it seeks to enhance.
- Think Long.
- Self-sufficiency is a myth: smart funders work toward long-term sustainability.
- Fund at the right level.
- Fund (good) overhead and capacity building.
- Measure the right things: long-term impact is critical.
- Balance restricted and unrestricted gifts.
- Be part of the community.
- Don’t go it alone: smart funders are networked and work in partnership. Share information and collaborate with others.
- Have a balanced portfolio. The same level of care that goes into creating an investment portfolio should go into devising a good philanthropic portfolio.